English   |    French

  Monday PM

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Journalists for Justice / 06 June 2016

 

Top Rwandan fugitive Felician Kabuga, may not be on the run for long. According to the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) in Arusha, there is no let up in the search for Kabuga who has been on the run for over 20 years. 

In an interview with the East African court’s officer-in-charge (communications) Danford Mpumilwa said: We are sending a powerful message that no one is above the law.  We are telling Kabuga that you must appear in court, or proof be provided that you are dead.”

In 1998, the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda charged Kabuga with crimes including genocide in connection with the massacre of more than 800,000 Rwandans in 1994. Between 1993-94, around half a million machetes were imported into Rwanda – Kabuga allegedly supplied the weapons to Hutu extremist who carried out the killings.

 

 

There are reports that he has been hiding in Kenya, which the authorities there have denied.

Since the inception of the tribunal at least 93 indictments have been made, of which 61 people were sentenced; 14 acquitted; 10 sent to Rwanda for trial; three are deceased. Presently seven people accused of committing genocide have been extradited from Uganda, Canada, US and ICTR to stand trial in Rwanda. Uganda, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) agreed on an extradition treaty for terror suspects and other criminals 2005. The agreement was reached by the tripartite joint commission which was composed of representatives from the three countries with facilitation by the United States.

Last month, Ladislas Ntaganzwa, a former Rwandan mayor under indictment for his alleged role in the slaughter of some 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus by ethnic Hutu militias, was extradited to Rwanda from Congo to face trial after 21 years on the run.

Mr Ntaganzwa was delivered to Rwandan prosecutors with the help of the successor UN organisation, the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals. He was arrested in eastern Congo in December 2005. He was one of nine high-profile fugitives wanted in connection with the genocide who are still at large. Rwanda has accused him of genocide, direct and public incitement to commit genocide, extermination, murder and rape.

See story on:www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/We-will-get-you--ICTR-tells-Felicien-Kabuga/-/2558/2668966/-/fni8e1z/-/index.html

 

< >

Other Headlines


Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Glimmer of hope for Gbagbo as appeal judges order review of his detention

BY Susan Kendi / ON 21 July 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Kenya: Rift Valley Violence Threatens Voting

BY Journalists for Justice / ON 19 July 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Ongwen led abduction of civilians in Pajule, says LRA spy

BY Susan Kendi / ON 13 July 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Kony’s childhood friend testifies about Odek attack at Ongwen’s ICC trial

BY Journalists for Justice / ON 11 July 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Ongwen's ICC trial resumes after a three-week break

BY Susan Kendi / ON 10 July 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Top ICC political team recommends South Korean Kwon for ASP boss

BY Journalists for Justice / ON 07 July 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

South Africa gets a slap on the wrist for failure to arrest Bashir

BY Journalists for Justice / ON 06 July 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Diplomatic row over possible second term for Kaba as president of ICC states

BY Journalists for Justice / ON 03 July 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

ICC judges’ visit to Auschwitz not without controversy

BY Journalists for Justice / ON 28 June 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

ICC judges pay their respects to victims of Auschwitz

BY Journalists for Justice / ON 28 June 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Looking Uhuru Kenyatta’s IDP gift horse in the mouth

BY Journalists for Justice / ON 28 June 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

UN puts British colonialism In Africa before Hague world court

BY Journalists for Justice / ON 28 June 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Ntaganda takes the stand in his own defence at the ICC

BY Susan Kendi / ON 27 June 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Human rights violations persist in a climate of widespread fear in Burundi

BY Susan Kendi / ON 27 June 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Acholi chief reveals his role in peace talks efforts between LRA and Museveni

BY Susan Kendi / ON 16 June 2017

Top Rwandan fugitive Kabuga put on notice

Thousands of post-election violence rapists went scot-free in Kenya

BY Editor / ON 02 May 2017

JOIN US